Sunday, December 25, 2011

Time off for Christmas means time on the bike

Tired of the cold or not, when I have a day off I just can't stand to not get out. Luckily I've slowly been acquiring gear for riding in all kinds of weather. Friday unfortunately Jodi was called into work because of a visiting inspector. SUCKED for her and I would rather her not have had to go in but since she did I played and played hard.

Not a long ride but in as much as 4 inches of snow, soft dirt underneath in the sunny un-frozen areas

and some nice mud in spots it made for some low-gear, leg-burning trails. I was quite surprised when I rode farther out these trails than I had before that I got to a low point where I could not see a single familiar landmark. Not that getting lost out there is a problem, go north and you have no choice but run into Southern, south and you either hit Irving or Paseo de Volcan, east Unser and west you'll make it to Mt. Taylor, eventually. I don't recommend heading west!

In the photo it looks like this was a road ride but as strange as it seems to be, especially being so close to a pretty good size city, there are hundreds and hundreds of miles of dirt roads (little more than trails in places) mapped out. And lots of people on these dirt roads.

Christmas day the sun was out all day and the weather on my Droid said it would be around 45 for a high. It lied!!! I did not layer enough for a road ride over my chest and abs, the rest was good, but when I got home it took hours to get my core warmed up. I pushed a little cold or not, I got in almost 15 miles but that was all the cold I wanted. Next time I think I'll head back to the Bosque or Rio Grande where there is a little more protection from the wind. The wind never stops on the hills over here.



I'm really glad I haven't let the cold keep me off the bike like it has most years that I've ridden. WA was the only other place I rode in the cold. If I didn't there I would have missed too many months of riding, it was cold 9 months of the year sometimes.

2012 is coming quickly and I am very excited about what it holds. I plan on MUCH more riding and training as well as some organized rides and possibly even work harder and harder toward a race or three.

No comments:

Post a Comment